Are you behind on rent and utility payments?

The Hartnell College Foundation is one of 9 agencies helping United Way of Monterey County distribute $22 million in rent and utility assistance to income-eligible individuals and families.

We want to assist Hartnell students and their families and friends who are facing housing instability because of lost or reduced income due to COVID-19.

You may be able to receive thousands of dollars to help you catch up on overdue rent and utility bills.

                                   Complete the online application by April 14, 2022 here


Who is Eligible?

To be eligible for this rental and utility support from the federal Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP), residents must meet the following requirements and provide needed documents:

  • Tenants living within the County of Monterey, regardless of immigration status
  • At or below 80% Area Median Income of Monterey County
    *Program will prioritize funding for very low-income tenants (at or below 50% AMI), as well as those who are at immediate risk of homelessness or have rental arrears
Household 1 Person 2 People 3 People 4 People 5 People 6 People
80% AMI $56,950 $65,100 $73,250 $81,350 $87,900 $94,400
50% AMI $35,600 $40,700 $45,800 $50,850 $54,950 $59,000


Required Paperwork

Applicants must provide the following to apply:

  • Documentation of housing or financial instability resulting from loss or reduction in income due to COVID-19
  • Proof of income eligibility (2021 tax return, recent paystub, W-2, bank statement, unemployment award/benefit, hour reduction notice from employer)
  • Government-issued ID (from any country) that includes a photo, name, and birthday for the head of household
  • Rent due notices

Landlord Collaboration

We will be hosting a series of webinars for the landlords to receive more information regarding the program. The first webinar took place on Friday, March 26th at 2:00 p.m. Did you miss the webinar? You can still view the informational slides that were presented.

Information for the Landlords

Tenants must apply first. If eligible, the landlord will be notified by one of the partnering agencies to provide the required paperwork(s) stated below. The landlord can initiate the application process for their tenant(s). 

The property landlord must provide the following forms:

  • Government-issued ID
  • Tax info, such as a W9
  • Confirmation that the tenant is not an immediate family member

Program Limitations

  • Rent plus utility assistance may not exceed 12 months of assistance per client.

Information about the Emergency Rental Assistance Program in Monterey County is also available by calling the countywide information hotline, 2-1-1.