- Choral Department increased student engagement with the technology they needed to perform in virtual choral concerts.
- Hartnell Gallery will greatly expand access with a brand new website and online access for students, faculty and the community to review all 11 collections gifted to the gallery with additional support by National Endowment for the Humanities.
- The Western Stage continued rehearsals virtually with the purchase of 3 new laptops, software and headsets during the COVID pandemic.
- The Hub provided internships for students to develop virtual art events to support students and the community cope with isolation and provide a platform for artistic expression.
Paulette Lynch 2022-2023 Chair of the Council for the Arts Hartnell College Foundation
Council for the Arts Recognizes Sandy Rudo
On September 1, 2021 the Council for the Arts recognized Sandy Rudo, Hartnell College Choral Director, for Outstanding Achievement in the Arts. Sandy ventured into unknown territory during the COVID lockdown to keep her students engaged with the ability to perform by creating the virtual choir. She took great effort to ensure students had access to equipment possible for their participation which lead to a collaboration with The Monterey Bay Aquarium on their “Favorite Things” project.
The Council for the Arts develops donor support to ensure strong arts learning and community arts engagement. Funds raised directly support the range of arts learning needs for student success and support programs that serve the Hartnell community on and off campus.
CHAMPION OF THE ARTS Julie Tucker Impacting Hartnell College and the Arts
Student Spotlight: Asheesh Williams
Williams attended Acting 1 & 2, and it was there where he found people from all walks of life with the same goal. Those classes exposed him to nuances of the craft he was determined to pursue, while also paving the way for lasting relationships which have helped shape the direction he has taken his craft.
THE WESTERN STAGE
TWS is awarded Shuttered Venue Grant
Killian Advisory Committee appoints Jeff Gallagher to spearhead the program
- Santa Cruz Chamber Players Concert 5, The Hero’s Journey, April 2 & 3, 2022, www.scchamberplayers.
THE HARTNELL GALLERY
Theater Arts and Cinema students hosted a Mini Fall Festival on October 21, 2021 in collaboration with the Hartnell Writer’s Guild. It was well-attended and included performances from the Theater Arts department, the Hartnell Jazz band and a display of pottery created by ceramic students.
HARTNELL CHAMBER SINGERS
On November 11, 2021 the Hartnell Chamber Singers, under the direction of choral faculty Sandy Rudo, performed with the Monterey Pops at the Salinas Veterans Day Parade. “We were thrilled to be asked to participate in this event, it was a wonderful experience for all of us,” stated Rudo.